VT Book Arts Guild “MailB.A.G.” January 2014
Next Meeting: Wednesday, January 8, 2014, 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
We meet at the Unitarian Universalist Society Church located at 152 Pearl Street in Burlington, VT. We will be in the Sophia Fahs Community Room, a large room located in the basement. Click here for more information on directions/parking.
Program: Waterfall Flip Book with Rebecca Boardman
Join us in January to ring in the New Year with a hands-on program in which we explore the creative possibilities of waterfall flip books and cards. Rebecca will share models she has created of some of the variations that are possible, and show videos of commercially made cards.
She’ll then lead us in constructing at least one version of this structure. As time allows we’ll all be challenged to come up with our own unique way of using this moveable structure, and then have fun sharing what we’ve all created.
Rebecca will bring templates for at least a couple versions of the waterfall flip book. Please bring the following tools and materials:
- X-Acto knife/cutting blade
- Cutting mat
- Straight edge to cut against
- Bone folder
- Quick Dry glue if you have it handy – (Rebecca will also bring some for us to use)
- Drawing implements, stamps, small punches, ideas for brief text – whatever you might want to use to create the content of this book.
December Meeting Reflections
December’s meeting brought out our brave members on a snowy evening. We shared resources, ideas, challenges and creative work. We created an informal support group to help each other work though problems with work in process. The feedback was generous and welcomed.
Our Guild members have such enthusiasm and appreciation of each other and our creative book projects. We are a lucky group!
You can view the list of resources on the B.A.G. blog.
You can view images from the meeting on the B.A.G. blog.
*** The Book Arts Guild of Vermont is happy to announce that the Spring exhibit will be hosted by the Rae Harrell Gallery in Hinesburg, in May. The show’s theme will be Nature: Beasts and Botanicals.
This broad theme can inspire fantastical, outlandish ideas as well as environmental, natural concepts. Find inspiration everywhere: on your daily walk, at your birdfeeder, on Pinterest, and at the library. Whether or not you have exhibited with us in the past, all members and friends are encouraged to submit work.
Deadline for submission will be April 1st, and we’re not kidding.
*** Vermont artist Jane Davies will be teaching a one day workshop in South Burlington on February 22, 2014. The workshop, Text and Image Collage, will allow us to explore the power of image/ word relationships as well as learn basic techniques and principles of collage.
We will create expressive pages that can be used for books, with found and created text, personal photos, and found/altered imagery. This will be a great way to jump start your ideas for the Spring exhibit, and to lose those winter blues.
- Date: Saturday, February 22, 2014, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Location: Ridgewood Clubhouse, South Burlington
- Cost: $55.00
Click here to download the registration form.
*** B.A.G. member Elissa Campbell is teaching The Recycled Accordion Book at Studio Place Arts in Barre, VT on February 20, 2014 from 4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
In this workshop, we will create an accordion book using recycled papers, books, and other found materials. This structure can stand up and be stretched out, making it perfect for display. You don’t have to spend lots of money on supplies to make a book – your recycle bin offers lots of creative possibilities!
To register, contact SPA via phone (802) 479-7069 or Email.
*** We want to know how we can best serve you! Within the next few weeks, you will be receiving a short survey about B.A.G. It is an online survey so there will be nothing to print out and mail – simply click on the link and answer a few short questions. We are striving to best meet the needs of our book arts community, and your feedback is both vital and greatly appreciated!
Book Arts News
*** The New England Historic Genealogical Society cordially invites you to a reception on Wednesday, January 15, 2014, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. to celebrate the 2013 opening of its conservation lab for the care and repair of materials held in its Library and Special Collections. A presentation by Deborah Rossi, NEHGS Conservation Technician, will be followed by group tours of the lab.
The Genealogical Society is located at 99 Newbury Street, Boston, MA in the first floor of the Treat Rotunda. Directions to NEHGS can found at AmericanAncestors.org/directions. R.S.V.P. by January 2, 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Book Arts Classes
*** The Eliot School in Jamaica Plain, MA is offering Carousel Books with Johanna Finnegan-Topitzer on Sunday, February 23, 2014 from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. This sculptural book opens to form several shadow box-style pages in the round, like a carousel or zoetrope. Create images by cutting, drawing and painting, then precisely cut, fold and assemble accordion pages.
- 6/8 – 6/20: Crafting the Well-Considered Book: Content, Structure, and Materials with Eileen Wallace
- 8/24 – 8/30: Books for the Closet with Mary Howe
If you would like to receive a course catalog or be added to their Email list, please contact them at email@example.com or (207) 348-2306. Haystack is in Deer Isle, ME.
*** Now celebrating its 31st year, the Paper & Book Intensive is a working sabbatical for practitioners and motivated beginners in the book arts, papermaking, and conservation. PBI will be held at Ox-Bow in Saugatuck, MI from May 11 – 22. Available classes include:
- Line by Line: an Introduction to Gold Finishing with Samuel Feinstein
- Paper and Place with Ann Marie Kennedy
- Designing Toroidal Books: Follow the Fold and Stray No More! with Ken Leslie
- Printing in Relief with Ryan O’Malley
- Three Case Styles for Three Bookbindings with Priscilla Spitler
- More Than a Book, More Than a Box with Cor Aerssens
- From Pulp to Pages: Innovative Possibilities with Kerri Cushman
- The Secret Ledger of Pepo Albizzi with Barbara Korbel
- Pennsylvania German/Anabaptist Bindings in America before 1880 with Chela Metzger & Erin Hammeke
- Impress Me: An Artist’s Approach to Embossing Leather for Books with Bonnie Stahlecker
*** The Penland School of Crafts has announced their 2014 spring and summer workshop lineup:
- 4/20 – 4/26: The Artist as Traveler with Gail Rieke
- 5/25 – 6/6: Eastern Papermaking Possibilities with Aimee Lee
- 5/25 – 6/6: Forms in Paper with Elizabeth Alexander
- 6/8 – 6/20: Word, Image, Text, Books with Julie Leonard
- 6/22 – 7/4: Living Inside the Book with Sara Glee Queen & Kathy Steinsberger
- 7/6 – 7/18: Books with Bulk with Daniel Essig & Dolph Smith
- 7/20 – 8/5: Sculpting with Handmade Paper with Jo Stealey
- 8/10 – 8/22: Box Making & Enclosure Design with Sarah Bryant
- 8/24 – 8/30: Onion Skin Binding with Benjamin Elbel
- Book Arts Guild of VT website: http://www.bookartsguildvt.com/
- Book Arts Guild of VT Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/bookartsguildvt
- Book Arts Guild of VT on Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/bagvermont/